One of our summer projects was tye-dying shirts. We’ve done it once before and it didn’t turn out so great, I decided to try it again. This time, it was a success!
This time I bought a kit. I figured that should be pretty fool proof and really didn’t want to waste all those t-shirts. The kit had 3 bottles of color in it and said it did up to 8 shirts. (we cut it close with 7 shirts, but we had kids using it and they used a little more than needed! 🙂 ) I got the kit on sale for $6 and the shirts were Walmart shirts from $3-$4 each. I didn’t think that was bad for how cute they turned out and how much the kids loved them!
We had to wet the shirts then we began tying them with rubber bands. The nice thing about the kit is they have a list of examples that show you how to tie it for the different patterns. I was right…the kit was fool proof! 🙂 Then, I let the kids pick their color and start squirting!!!
I know…I may be a little nuts for allowing this!
This was obviously an outside craft and I put their shirt on plastic bags. It was still a mess! This is why I don’t have any pictures of the process! I was more focused on helping the kids. I didn’t really want the kids colored head to toe for days! 🙂 Once they were finished dying them, we put them in plastic bags and let them soak over night. Took all the rubber bands off and washed them!
They were so excited to take the rubber bands off and see what they had made. I think that was more exciting then actually dying them!
I was pretty shocked myself that they actually turned out! 🙂
She loves her shirt! She made it and wears it proud!
The littlest of the house didn’t have much input in the process, but she did a great job looking cute in her new shirt.
It worked out that our neighbors had a 70’s themed party and we got to wear all of our shirts together! The kids loved that!
Tye-dying was a success and we will be doing this again!